Amazon S3 Storage and Firefox S3 Organizer Addon
You are then able to grant the read permission to all and then right click (In the add-on) and select "Copy URL to clipboard" then paste the link in an email, chat session, or etc, to give others access to the file or files you have granted Everyone Read permissions.
Some of the uses I have found for the S3 service are:
- Uploading work projects or documents that I need access to from remote locations.
- Backing up my MP3 collection.
- Uploading large files or video presentations to be downloaded or streamed to others thereby offloading the bandwidth load on a website at more favorable rates.
- Backing up critical files.
- A quick means to upload a file to give a customer or friend access to
This tutorial will cover the basic setup and use of the S3 service and Firefox Add-on as all the possible uses are beyond the scope of this article.
United States Pricing:
- $0.150 per GB – first 50 TB / month of storage used
- $0.140 per GB – next 50 TB / month of storage used
- $0.130 per GB – next 400 TB /month of storage used
- $0.120 per GB – storage used / month over 500 TB
- $0.100 per GB – all data transfer in
- $0.170 per GB – first 10 TB / month data transfer out
- $0.130 per GB – next 40 TB / month data transfer out
- $0.110 per GB – next 100 TB / month data transfer out
- $0.100 per GB – data transfer out / month over 150 TB
- $0.01 per 1,000 PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests
- $0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests*
1) Create S3 Account
Click on the "+ Show" on your access key page to show your secret key. Copy your Access Key ID and Your Secret Access Key into notepad as the next step will restart Firefox during the install process
2) Install S3 Firefox Organizer add-on
Click on "Add to Firefox" and when the install is completed click the restart Firefox button in the add-on GUI. Once Firefox has restarted you will notice the new S3Firefox text in the bottom right of Firefox - double-click it to bring up the add-on.
3) Configure S3 Firefox Organizer add-on:
Once the add-on is open click on the "Manage Accounts" button at the top and fill in the fields as follows:
- Account name - Friendly name you decide on
- Access Key - Access Key provided by Amazon
- Secret Key - Secret Key provided by Amazon
Now that the bucket is created, double-click to open it:
Now its your turn. There are many useful applications for this service and we have just barely skimmed the surface.
Note - Keep in mind that if you are using this add-on on a public or work computer you need to go into the options of Firefox and set a master password as there is no further authentication required to access the add-on and your uploaded files once Firefox is open