AMD Ryzen 5000 Zen 3 CPU Pricing Trends Downward Ahead Of Intel Alder Lake Launch
The healthy inventory coupled with the incoming 12 generation Alder Lake processors from Intel means some of the best deals to date are available for Ryzen 5000 processors. Additionally, all four mainline Ryzen 5000 desktop processors -- Ryzen 5 5600X, Ryzen 7 5800X, Ryzen 9 5900X, Ryzen 9 5950X -- are trending well below their MSRPs, which is good news for gamers.
The flagship Ryzen 9 5950X has an MSRP of $799, but it is currently selling for $749 at Amazon. While this might "only" represent a $50 discount, these processors were selling for closer to $1,000 (or higher) at launch. Amazon (direct seller) doesn't currently have the Ryzen 9 5900X in stock, but the Ryzen 7 5800X is ringing up at $392.99 (versus an MSRP of $449). Finally, the Ryzen 5 5600X is on sale at Amazon for $272.99 compared to an MSRP of $299.
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3 Processor $749 @ Amazon
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Zen 3 Processor (Unavailable) @ Amazon
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Zen 3 Processor $392.99 @ Amazon
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Zen 3 Processor $272.99 @ Amazon
It's a similar situation over at Best Buy, with discounts across the board.
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3 Processor $749.99 @ Best Buy
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Zen 3 Processor $499.99 @ Best Buy
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Zen 3 Processor $419.99 @ Best Buy
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Zen 3 Processor $279.99 @ Best Buy
Not surprisingly, Newegg is also in on the discount action, including the lowest pricing we've seen in a while on the Ryzen 7 5800X (after coupon).
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3 Processor $749 @ Newegg
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Zen 3 Processor (Unavailable) @ Newegg
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Zen 3 Processor $389.99 @ Newegg After Coupon (9BDYRVSAB5)
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Zen 3 Processor $272.99 @ Newegg
With Alder Lake rumored for an October 27 announcement and November 19 launch, it's nice to see that prices are dropping on the Zen 3 lineup. However, what will be interesting is how competitive Alder Lake will be against AMD's nearly year-old consumer desktop processors. We'll be especially interested in seeing how the 16-core, 24-thread Core i9-12900K stacks up against the Ryzen 9 5950X. Intel hasn't fielded a core-for-core match for the Ryzen 9 family until now, so it will be an intriguing battle to watch.