eTailer Claims AMD Ryzen Has Hit Desktop CPU Sales Parity With Intel
Back in May, AMD was sitting at a 47 percent share of CPU sales at Mindfactory, with Intel taking the lead at 53 percent. This time around, however, the two companies are neck and neck at 50 percent each (with a slight nod to AMD in the total number of processors sold).
Looking closer at the numbers, second-generation Pinnacle Ridge Ryzen processors accounted for 44 percent of all AMD processors sold, with Summit Ridge (first-generation) and Raven Ridge (first-generation, APU) coming in at 31 percent and 22 percent respectively. The powerhouse Ryzen Threadripper HEDT processors accounted for just 2 percent of all AMD processor sales.
On the Intel front, 8generation Coffee Lake processors gobbled up a whopping 86 percent of processor sales compared to 11 recent for Kaby Lake. The Skylake-X HEDT chips, like their Ryzen Threadripper counterparts, settled for a 2 percent share.
While the two chip companies might be toe-to-toe with respect to units moved, Intel still has the upper hand with regards to the average selling price (ASP) of processors. Intel commanded a 58 percent share of processor revenue at Mindfactory, while AMD took the remaining 42 percent. It's easy to see why, as the ASP for Intel chips was 245.93 euros ($286) compared to 183.28 euros ($213) for AMD.
It will be interesting to see how the numbers shift in the coming months as the Ryzen 2000 chips begin to stretch their legs, Ryzen Threadripper 2000 chips [reportedly] debut later this month, and 9generation Core processors start arriving in the coming months.