Datto Introduces Box 2 Box NAS Device
The peer-to-peer NAS not only allows for easy sharing of information with friends and relatives, but it also allows owners to copy their data to secure off-site locations for an even higher level of data redundancy. Datto goes out of its way to ensure that setup and use is remarkably simple, noting that each device comes with free access to "direct human customer support" along with a five year hardware warranty.
As for specifications, the Box 2 Box can be pre-ordered in 250GB (BXP-250), 500GB (BXP-500) and 1TB (BXP-1000) models, with each featuring at least a single Gigabit Ethernet port (the biggest of the trio has two), a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 1GB of DDR2 memory, a Linux-based operating system, four USB 2.0 expansion sockets and compatibility with Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. Datto expects the drives to begin shipping in early March, with introductory pricing set at $619.95, $659.95 and $849.95 from least capacious to most.
Box 2 Box technical specifications:
- CPU: 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom 230
- RAM: 1 GB DDR2
- Hard Drive: 7200 RPM 3.5" up to 32MB Cache
- Operating System: Linux Based
- Expansion: 4x USB 2.0
- Network: 1 or 2 Gigabit Ethernet NIC's
- File Sharing Formats: SMB/SAMBA, SFTP, NFS
- Supported Mass Storage Formats: FAT, NTFS, EXT3
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, or Linux
- 5 year hardware warranty