Madden NFL 20 Simulation Predicts 49ers-Chiefs Super Bowl Winner But Could It Be A Curse?
For the past 16 years, Electronics Arts
has been simulating the Super Bowl
using the artificial intelligence
(AI) engine in its Madden NFL video game series, and as you might imagine, the results are not perfect. Madden NFL does have a winning record, though, and the latest release, Madden NFL 20, will look to add another win to its resume by simulating Super Bowl LIV.
Sadly, this year's Super Bowl does not feature Bill Belichick (greatest coach ever), Tom Brady (greatest quarterback ever), and the New England Patriots (greatest NFL team ever). I say all that as a slightly (heavily) biased displaced New England native. Fortunately, however, the match up between the San Francisco 49ers, led by Jimmy Garoppolo, and the Patrick Mahomes-led Kansas City Chiefs should be a high scoring affair. Two of the league's most explosive QBs will take the field for the ultimate prize.
So, which team will win? Madden NFL 20 thinks it has the answer...
If the AI engine proves accurate, the Chiefs will edge out the 49ers with a 35-31 victory, with Mahomes delivering an "incredible performance." The simulation predicts a close affair. In the first quarter, the 49ers draw first blood on a 16-yard run to pay dirt. A bit later, 49ers kicker Robbie Gould adds to the lead with a 41-yard field goal. Meanwhile, the Chiefs come up blank in the first quarter.
By halftime, the 49ers lead 17-14, then in the second half, it's basically a shootout. After being bounced by the Patriots in overtime during the AFC Championship last season, Mahomes wills the Chiefs to redemption with a late fourth-quarter drive to win the Super Bowl.
That's how the simulation goes, anyway. Will it actually play out that way? Only time will tell. In the meantime, it's worth noting that the Madden simulation's record thus far is an impressive 10-6. That's sometimes good enough to make the playoffs.
On the flip side, Madden NFL has hit a bit of a rough patch. Last year, it incorrectly predicted
the Los Angeles Rams would defeat the Patriots, and the year before that, it had the Patriots beating the Philadelphia Eagles, which also turned out to be wrong (drats!). So Madden NFL 20 is on a two-game losing streak, and is just 2-4 over the last six Super Bowls.
Here's a look at every previous prediction...
- 2004: Patriots 23, Panthers 20 (Actual score: Patriots 32, Panthers 29) - Correct
- 2005: Patriots 26, Eagles 21 (Actual score: Patriots 24, Eagles 21) - Correct
- 2006: Steelers 24, Seahawks 19 (Actual score: Steelers 21, Seahawks 10) - Correct
- 2007: Colts 38, Bears 27 (Actual score: Colts 29, Bears 17) - Correct
- 2008: Patriots 28, Giants 30 (Actual score: Giants 17, Patriots 14) - Incorrect
- 2009: Steelers 28, Cardinals 24 (Actual score: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23) - Correct
- 2010: Saints 35, Colts 31 (Actual score: Saints 31, Colts 17) - Correct
- 2011: Steelers 24, Packers 20 (Actual score: Packers 31, Steelers 25) - Incorrect
- 2012: Giants 27, Patriots 24 (Actual score: Giants 21, Patriots 17) - Correct
- 2013: Ravens 27, 49ers 24 (Actual score: Ravens 34, 49ers 31) - Correct
- 2014: Broncos 31, Seahawks 28 (Actual score: Seahawks 43, Broncos 8) - Incorrect
- 2015: Patriots 28, Seahawks 24 (Actual score: Patriots 28, Seahawks 24) - Correct
- 2016: Panthers 24, Broncos 20 (Actual score: Broncos 24, Panthers 10) - Incorrect
- 2017: Patriots 37, Falcons 24 (Actual score: Patriots 34, Falcons 28) - Correct
- 2018: Patriots 24, Eagles 20 (Actual score: Eagles 41, Patriots 33) - Incorrect
- 2019: Rams 30, Patriots 27 (Actual score: Patriots 13, Rams 3) - Incorrect
- 2020: Chiefs 35, 49ers 31 (Actual score: yet to be determined, but probably incorrect)
I personally think Jimmy G and the 49ers will get it down, which would put the Madden NFL simulation on a three-game losing streak and a 10-7 record overall. However, Mahomes has looked unstoppable at times, so who knows.
Who do you have winning the Super Bowl? Sound off in the comments section below!