Making A Young Gamer's Wish Come True: Doug's Fantastic Gaming PC Build
Recently, we were fortunate enough to be contacted by Make-A-Wish through a local Engineering college called WPI. My son Michael, now a WPI Electrical Engineering graduate, was asked to help make a wish for a local boy named Doug who was diagnosed with cancer. Thankfully, Michael asked if team HotHardware could help as well, and he connected us with the Make-A-Wish team. In turn, we were also fortunate enough to have friends at many great companies that could help us out with making Doug’s wish come true.
You see Doug had a DIY wish to both learn how to build a great gaming PC, and to become a PC Gamer and PC Game Streamer on YouTube or Twitch. And that was right up our alley. Doug was a young man after our own hearts!
And so it was on, for Doug. This Make-A-Wish gamer’s wish absolutely needed to come true...
- AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
- ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Motherboard
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Graphics Card
- ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ 35" – Curved, HDR G-Sync Gaming Monitor
- 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
- WD Blue 1TB NVMe SATA SSD
- WD Black SN-750 1TB NVMe Gaming SSD
- Corsair 750 Watt Gold Modular PSU
- Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM All-In-One Water Cooler
- Corsair Crystal Series 570X Case
- Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Gaming Keyboard And Knight Sword RGB Mouse
- Corsair Gaming VOID RGB Elite Wireless Gaming Headset
- Elgato HD60s Capture Card
- Blue Yeti USB Microphone
Fortunately, however, it was good ol’ Dad to the rescue! Doug’s gaming PC build actually turned out to be a great father and son project. Kudos to Doug’s Dad Bill, for rolling up his sleeves, doing a bit of research and helping Doug learn how to put all these great technologies together.
Check out the results for yourself, and meet Doug and his Dad Bill, too…
It Was, In A Word, VICTORY!
Doug and Dad didn’t let critical illness, or even a global pandemic, get in the way of making dreams come true and we couldn’t be prouder of their triumph. Again, heartfelt thanks to the brands who all contributed here for Doug, as well as the wonderful people at Make-A-Wish Massachusetts And Rhode Island. This was just what the doctor ordered for all of us here at HotHardware as well, to help beat our coronavirus shut-in blues.
In a world too often divided, it’s great solace to see people from all walks of life come together for good, and to help make a profound difference. Doug -- the newly-minted PC Gamer -- is coming to a YouTube or Twitch channel near you soon, so keep on the lookout. He’s just getting warmed up.