Steam Adds THQ To Roster
Steam, Valve Corp's online game distribution system, just added THQ to its roster of big-name developers further expanding the impressive list of games being distributed through its Steam client. THQ is a major game developer and publisher responsible for several recent blockbuster hits such as Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Some of the studios under the THQ's umbrella that will be contributing games to Steam are Relic Entertainment, Gas Powered Games, Lore Entertainment and Pandemic.
The addition of THQ's games brings the total number of games distrubuted by Steam up to an impressive 161.
The following games are now available on Steam with a 10% discount through July 24:
• Company of Heroes (Strategy; developed by Relic Entertainment)
• Titan Quest (Role playing; developed by Lore Entertainment)
• Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (Role playing; developed by Lore Entertainment)
• Full Spectrum Warrior (Action; developed by Pandemic)
• Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (Action; developed by Pandemic)
Stay tuned for the launch of additional titles, including:
• Supreme Commander – (Strategy; developed by Gas Powered Games)
• S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl – (Action; developed by GSC Game World)
• Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Gold Edition – (developed by Strategy; Relic Entertainment)
• Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade – (developed by Strategy; Relic Entertainment)
Online distrubution through downloads is Steam's primary advantage over traditional brick and morter retail outlets. Since there is no wharehousing or packaging overhead, games distrubuted through Steam cost significantly less than a retail box from a traditional retail distributor. However, the savings and convenience of not having to get up from your chair to purchase a game come at the cost of being tied to the Steam client. A fair trade in our opinion.